It didn't look like a great night for imaging. Lots of haze. * Had to drive out to Beaverton.....crossing the Columbia river at about 5pm, Mt. Hood was completely invisible in the haze.
Apparently haze doesn't affect "seeing". I set up my imaging gear at about 10:45pm with the intent to get some video clips of Jupiter....my first of the season. I didn't expect much, but seeing, at least for a brief period of time, was very good. The attached image was captured about 11:45pm......the clips I captured after this one don't look as good, at least in their raw video form. I shot 11 clips, all approximately 1500 frames, but I neglected to write down the frame rate and shutter speed for them. Most were captured at 1/25th of a second, with frame rates of 10-25 frames per second.
I am so pleased with my new CG5 mount. It tracked Jupiter (even with a 2x barlow on the camera) perfectly......it barely moved a tiny fraction of an inch in 15-20 minutes. I had to constantly use the hand control on my old mount just to keep it somewhere in the field of view for a couple of minutes......constantly drifting out.
The image below is roughly 530x. 1325mm focal length with 2x barlow = 2650mm / 5mm (the camera is apprximately equivalent to a 5mm eyepiece) = 530x
Celestron 104mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron CG5 GT goto mount, ToUcam Pro II 840k, 2X Barlow, approximately 1500 frames. Processed in Registax v5. Moons: Io
to the left, Callisto
to the right.
I took some non-barlowed clips, to capture all 4 Galilean moons, but they don't look very good for some reason. The moons came out well, but the planet looks strange.....almost fake.
* Click on the larger (non-thumbnail) photos for a clearer full-size image.