I thought it would be a quick process. Set up the scope, do a quick "Solar System Align" and capture some video clips of Jupiter. All seemed in order.......the clouds cleared, the air was steady. A piece of cake, right? Wrong!
I hurridly polar aligned the scope.....too hurridly as it turned out. It "almost" aimed at Jupiter. With a working finder, it would have been easy to center it.......but my red dot finder decided it's battery was dead....no red dot. I had removed the visial finder bracket from the scope (104mm Mak-Cass). Finally, I was able to center the planet in the scope. Great!
Not so great. Brought up the capture program, plugged in the webcam.........no video! I am not sure what happened, but when I did a system restore a while back I must have lost the camera driver.......a big problem because this camera needs a special driver to operate with MS Vista.
So...........my hopes dashed, I had little alternative but to drag all my gear back inside without so much as a few seconds of video capture.
Several hours later (this morning) I finally found a link to a zipped program, that provided instructions on how to find and load the missing driver. So, here it is 1:15pm on 8/14, and I have a working camera. Too bad it's not 1:15am with a bright clear Jupiter hanging in the South. Drat!
Sometimes I hate computers!