Have you ever started what you thought would be a simple repair project, only to find that the problem was far more complicated than you thought?
The altitude axis on my Celestron NexStar mount was loose. Surrounded by screws and parts, I finally figured out what the problem was and corrected it. When I put everything back together, the axis was snug, but the mount would only move left and right......the altitude axis wouldn't move. Turns out, in the process of fixing the problem, I managed to pull a connector loose.
No problem? Big problem!!! The connector socket was deep inside the mount base, and I spent almost 2 hours trying to find it.(tiny). After just about totally dismantling the entire mount base, I found the socket. That was just the start of another hour of struggling to get my fingers into a space half their size. (Much cursing ensued)
I don't know how I did it, but I got it all put back togther with no screws or parts leftover.......and everything works. Amazing. And the altitude axis is snug.
PS: I was happy to see that the NexStar has metal gears.
A new hand controller has also solved the malfunction issues I had at the recent Camp Hancock star party. So...........I am ready to get back to some photography. Now, of course, the monsoon season has begun.....so it may be a while before any new photos are posted.
Below: A just completed model of the Hubble. Poorly executed, but not bad for a $8.95 paper model. www.spacecraftkits.com The base and dowel support were fabricated from supplies found at JoAnn's fabrics and Crafts.