The last two nights have been a trial in frustation and satisfaction.
The night before last, I aligned the scope (3 star alignment), told it to goto M101......and wonder of wonders, there it was (preview exposure)....at little off center but there. Unfortunately, the scope suddenly decided to stop tracking right. I gave up after almost 35 attempts (several hours) to get a clean photo sequence. By the time I gave up, M101 was almost down to the roof tops......and the scope aimed almost straight into a street light.
Determined to try again, last night I did my 3 star alignment and punched in M101, only to have the scope be unable to find it. (Of course, I can't see it in the finder or the scope) Three re-alignments and several attempts later, I finally decided to aim at something I could see. F R U S T R A T I O N!!!!!
Well, anyway, I decided to aim at M13 again. The scope wouldn't find it, but I found it on my own. But......suddenly the scope began tracking quite well......for this scope.
I then found M27 after some effort, only to realize I was setup too close to a tree in my front yard. Muttering vile language under my breath, I turned off the scope and moved it to a new location.....turned it back on, and did a super fast "one star" alignment. When I punched in M27......boom.....there it was, nearly dead center. Go figure. And "Do you believe in miracles", it also began tracking like a trooper.
At any rate, I think these two images are my best work ever. These are my first attempts at processing, but I can see the potential, if I get everything balanced right.
Orion 80mm short tube refractor
Celestron NexStar 4se mount
Original Meade DSI color
M13: 46 subs @ 11.3 sec per sub
M27: 45 subs @ 8 sec per sub....Orion Skyglow filter